It’s summer once again, which means making a splash and having fun in the sun at the 4th Annual Duck Derby on Saturday, August 5 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Presented by local Sonic Drive-Ins, the family-friendly festival will feature food, music and activities—the highlight being the signature duck race on Lady Bird Lake. The race begins at 11:30 a.m. with the launch of more than 15,000 eco-friendly toy ducklings into the water from the Ann W. Richards Congress Bridge.
Austin residents can get involved now by adopting a duck to complete in the August race, with proceeds benefitting the Austin Boys and Girls Clubs Foundation, a nonprofit that provides support and assistance to the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Austin Area (BGCAA). Single ducks can be adopted for just $5, and Quack Packs, Flocks, and the Quacker’s Dozen are also available. Online duck adoptions are open from June 16 to August 5 at 8 a.m.
What’s more, adoptive parents of the derby’s fastest ducks will win the following prizes:
- Grand Prize: 2017 Volkswagen Jetta S, sponsored by Hewlett Volkswagen in Georgetown
- Second Place: 2017 Ducati Scrambler 62-6-1
- Third Place: One-week stay in Summer 2018 at Heritage Fairmont Place in Telluride, Colorado
- Fourth Place: Two Southwest Airlines tickets
- Fifth Place: Family package to Schlitterbahn
- 50th Place in Honor of BGCAA’s 50th Birthday: $500 MySonic gift card
“Austin Sonic Drive-Ins are proud to sponsor this event and partner with such an impactful organization like our local Boys & Girls Clubs,” said Denise Conway, Austin Sonic Partner. “Giving back is part of our company’s heritage, and it’s the right thing to do. It feels great knowing the impact is life-changing for kids across our city.”
To adopt a duck, visit www.austinduckderby.com.
Listen below to the 96.7 KISS FM's Billy The Kidd Show discuss their favorite things about the Austin Duck Derby!